A dangerous lock screen malware is spreading fast on the Android phones masquerading the lock screen app. This malware downloads the porn related apps into the phone that are non removable later. the malware is identified by the Dell SonicWALL Security Center first and has provided the technical details of the spreading of the malware.
The lock screen malware app comes in different names and shape with just one objective, to spread the malware on to the phone successfully. When installed, it asks for administrator rights on the device with a title ‘Update’ which misleads users to click on the ‘Activate’ button.
When it is activated with administrator permissions, the screen shows not to shutdown or restart as if it is the legitimate software update. The lock screen shows will not be as effective as the original lock screen apps. The good thing yet is, the malware does not ask for ransom after locking down the system settings.
Once installed, the lock screen malware will not allow you to install itself and the application that are installed by it. Even the safe mode of the device will not work and it even shows up.
What’s the solution to this lock screen malware?
The best solution for any problem is to prevent it from happening. If you device is already infected, do a clean installation of the operating system. Take it to service centre if you are not an advanced android user.
Follow these tips for better security and protection:
- Always disable ‘developer options’ if you are not the power/advanced user of the android.
- Always ‘DO NOT ALLOW’ installations from unverified resources.
- Do not install every application that you see interesting. Check for its reputation first on the internet.
- Think a while before transferring application from one phone to another.
- Keep the system software updated to the latest version.
- Stay away from malware prone sites like downloads and porn on the device.
These tips are very basic. You may add any other precautions if you can while using the android phone.