Windows 10 operating system was launched with a lot of features and security included in it. It has a lot of improvements when compared to that of its predecessors. Location based tracking is something that annoys the users as it is a security nightmare as it feels for many. But not many know that it doesn’t actually have to be that way, you can actually change the location settings and disable location access in Windows 10 using a few simple steps.
Disabling Location Tracking in Windows 10 Using Settings
- Firstly, open Settings (Windows + I) and select Privacy
- Here on the left-hand side panel, you will find App Permissions, below that you can see Location, just tap on the toggle button to turn it off
That’s it, this will disable the location access for Microsoft, built-in Windows 10 apps and even Microsoft Store apps on your device.
Disabling Location Tracking By Microsoft Store Apps
If you wish to track all apps from tracking you but have got no issues in letting Windows accessing your location, you can keep the earlier settings ‘On’
- As you open the Settings page on your computer by clicking (Windows + I)
- Scroll down on the same page and you will find Privacy option on the left side panel on your Windows screen
- There under the option app permissions, you can find the option Location, turn off the toggle to disable location access for all the apps listed there
Disabling Location Access On Per App Basis
If you wish some of the apps on your computer like Weather, Clock, News access your location but don’t wished to be tracked on a wholesale by each and every app, then you need to keep both the earlier settings turned on. Then scroll down further to grant permissions for certain apps.
- Under the Settings menu in your computer, head to the option Privacy
- There, you will find App permissions option, below that you can see Location option, tap on it
- Now, on the right-side panel you will see the list of apps. To grant or disable permission on per app basis, you just need to turn on or off each of the toggles individually
Disabling Location Tracking By Windows Apps
Desktop applications usually don’t ask for permissions to access data like the Microsoft apps does. To disable them from accessing your location, scroll down further and turn off the toggle for ‘Allow desktop apps to access your location’
Clear Location History In Windows 10
It can be noted that the location information saved on your device will automatically be deleted after a limited time, you can even delete it manually.
- To clear location history, head to Settings>Privacy>Location then on the right hand side pane, find Location History and then tap on Clear
This is how you can pretty easily prevent Microsoft and its app from accessing/ collecting your geographical location information.