Whether it is Windows 10 or Windows 8, the default name for the newly created folder will be ‘New Folder’. But believe me it is actually customizable in Windows 10. That means you can actually change the default name of the new folder to anything that you want. As we all know that one can easily rename the name of the new folder by right clicking on the folder and then selecting the option rename from the available list of options. So, now let us get started and learn the process to change default new folder name in Windows 10.
Change The Default New Folder Name
- To begin with, you need to open the Windows Registry Editor. For that you need to open the Windows search bar and type ‘regedit’, click enter and then tap on the first result you get
- Navigate to Computer>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp using the left pane in the Regedit window
- Now, there you create a directory called NamingTemplates. For that right click on the ‘Explorer’ directory and select New>Key
- Now select the new directory and right click at a blank space on the right pane, then select New>String Value
- Then name the new entry RenameNameTemplate. Here right click on it and select Modify on the popup options menu
- Now, inside the popup box, you will find a ‘Value Data’ field, select your chosen default name for new folders on your computer. For example, you can set it as ‘ComputerEra Documents’. Finally click on Ok to save your settings
- Then, from now whenever you create a new folder, it will created with the name ‘ComputerEra Documents’
- Also please note that this change will also apply to all the files, documents, archives, images etc., created using the New option in the Windows right click menu
This is how you change the default new folder name in your Windows 10 run desktop PCs or laptops.