Computers have come through a lot of evolutions to stand in a place where they are today. They are not very easy to use or as user-friendly as they are now. The computer’s keyboard has also gone through various modulations to finally set in the format which we are using now which is called the QWERTY keyboard. Usually, the keyboard has various types of keys and function keys are one among them. Function keys are the keys that can be found on the top of the keyboard starting from F1 – F12.
Now very few people know the uses of these keys. So, today in this article, I am going to share with you the uses of all the function keys one by one.
The F1 Key
- Use this key to open the help page of the working program.
- Press this key along with the Windows key to open the home page of the Microsoft Windows Help and Support Centre,
The F2 Key
- Use this to rename the selected file.
- Press this key along with Alt and Ctrl to open the selected document in MS Word.
- Press this key with Ctrl to view the preview window in MS Word.
The F3 Key
- Use this key to open the search feature in many programs like browsers, MS Word.
- Use this key along with Shift to change the case of the sentences in MS Word-like upper, lower, sentence case.
- Use this key with the combination of windows key to open the advanced find window in Outlook.
The F4 Key
- Use this key to repeat the last action performed while typing in MS Word.
- Use Alt + F4 to close all the active windows and Ctrl + F4 for closing the topmost active window.
The F5 Key
- For refreshing pages in web browsers and other programs.
- Use this key for refreshing the contents of the folder.
- This key can be used to start the slideshow in PowerPoint.
The F6 Key
- This key helps to move the cursor to the address bar in the web browsers.
The F7 Key
- It helps to open the spelling and grammar check in programs like MS Word.
- The combination of Shift and F7 keys will start a thesaurus check on the word highlighted.
The F8 Key
- Hold it continuously or keep pressing this key to open the option to run the system on safe Mode while the system is turning on.
- In Mac OS this key shows the thumbnail images of the workspaces.
The F9 Key
- Use thi9s to refresh an MS Word document.
- This key can be used for sending an email in Microsoft Outlook.
The F10 Key
- This key activates the menu bar of an open application in Windows.
- Instead of right-clicking use this key with the Shift combination.
The F11 Key
- Use this key to enter or exit full-screen mode in all the modern internet browsers.
The F12 Key
- Use this key to open the developer tools window in most of the browsers.